The two best primers for BH209 are the CCI209M and the Federal 209A. They tend to be hotter than most other 209's.

There is nothing wrong with your choice of bullet. It should do everything you ask of it.

Personally I use the .429 300 gr. XTP purchased in bulk, with the green Harvester sabot, also purchased in bulk. I like the .429/300 because it has a better ballistic shape than the .452 XTP's. The difference is not overwhelming, but every little bit counts. I would also prefer a 300 grainer on elk, but your 240 in the right place would make meat too. The 300's actually shoot pretty well out to 200 yards if you take time to learn your rifle. Personally, I wouldn't shoot any farther than that.

Use 100-110 gr. by volume of BH209. For reference, a volumetric 100 gr. charge will actually weigh about 75 grains on a scale, and a 110 grain volumetric charge would weigh about 83 grains.

If you buy your bullets by the box of 50 or 100 and your sabots in bags of 100, you save a great deal of money over the blister packs that have 20 bullets and sabots. You also won't run out after sighting your rifle in and have to search for more of the same thing, or wind up having to make a switch because you can't find them.

You can buy in bulk online from Midway and other places.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 02/17/12.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...