Blackhorn does not recommend going higher than a 120 gr. volumetric charge with any bullet weight in a muzzleloader. I definitely would not go to 150. Useful charges can be from 90 to 120 grains volumetric measure. Accuracy can vary with charge size.

Your TC powder measure would be fine to use with Blackhorn. There is always lots of confusion regarding "volumetric measuring" with blackpowder substitutes like Pyrodex and Blackhorn 209. I will try to explain it...wish me luck. In the old days when blackpowder was the only thing used in muzzleloading guns, powder charges of from 40 to 120 grains were commonly used. Since nobody carried a scale in the field, powder measures were used to dispense charges by volume. They were marked to show the approximate weight of the charge, and a 100 grain volumetric charge of blackpowder actually weighed 100 grains.

In the late 20th. century, various substitutes for blackpowder, such as Pyrodex and 777, and later Blackhorn 209 were developed. All of these substitutes were less dense than blackpowder volume for volume. So, if you weighed out 100 grains of blackpowder and 100 grains of Pyrodex, the Pyrodex would take up more space.

The substitutes were all designed to be used with the same powder measures that were used with blackpowder, and to provide about the same power at the same measure settings as blackpowder would give. There was no need to weigh charges as long as you used a volume of Pyrodex that was also a safe volume of blackpowder. The actual weight of the substitute would be about 70% to 75% of an equal volume of BP.

The problem was, if you DID weigh the charges and thought that you could use the same WEIGHT of 777, Pyrodex or whatever as blackpowder, you were actually using too much powder and might be in danger.

So, as long as you use a volumetric measure, you are OK. If you want to weigh your charges on a scale, use about 70% of the weight of a safe blackpowder charge.

Pyrodex pellets are supposed to be the same power as an nominally equal volume of Pyrodex powder...so a 50 grain pellet equals a 50 grain volumetric charge of Pyrodex powder.

Blackhorn 209 gives more power than an equal volume of Pyrodex.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 02/18/12.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...