Originally Posted by GSSP
Joel,

Mule Deer's load's are typically known for working in many cases. Not 100% of the time.

IMO, experience and from reading, at this point of finding the load for you '06 would not be by adjusting OAL; yet. Adjusting OAL and testing various primers are more....."fine" tuning. Trying different powder charges or different powders all together would be considered "major" tuning. Also, trying different bullets would be considered "major" tuning.

With that said, if you are set on using the 180 PT and Hunter, which are fine components, yes, adjusting OAL about 40 thou would be in order. You're at 2.735" now. Load up little 5-shot snacks of (assuming your 2.735" is on or near the lands) shorter OAL cartridges; 2.695", 2.655", 2.615". See which shoot best and then, if you want, fine tune ever more by working within the .04" range in smaller increments. Say, .01" increments. Once completed, try different primers. I didn't see velocities nor see one in the photo, thus I have to assume you're not using a chronograph. Not needed but always nice to have when looking for loads that vary little from shot to shot. Having shot to shot similarities in velocity helps keep your vertical impacts closer at longer distances. And seeings you have a CDS elev turret (14 minutes of adjustment) on that nice Leupold and your load, running around 2750 fps will take you out to well past 600 yds.

Did your 'smith tune the trigger pull nice and light? Helps with fine accuracy!

Some of my best loads come from using the Lee CND. Some come from using Redding Type-S Bushing die; the full length version for hunting and/or tactical rifles.

Hope this helps.

By the way, NICE looking rifle. grin What are the components?

Alan

Thanks Alan. The trigger I set myself, several years ago. It's a Timney that breaks at about 2.5 pounds. I'm reluctant to adjust it lower, as she's primarily a deer and elk rifle. Sometimes it's cold, and I have on gloves, etc.

The rest is a Bartlein #3 barrel, Holland lug, McMillan Classic that I acquired through RickBin, and Leupy 3.5 - 10 x 40 VXIII. My wife bought me both the rifle (before all the aftermarket parts) and scope about 8 years ago.

I changed barrels because the factory barrel shot minute changes to loads randomly. It would have shot the 58.0 group true, then the 58.5 group 2 inches left, etc. It was baffling, and I never figured it out. It was pleased as pie that this barrel shot everything yesterday to the same POI. Even if I didn't do any more load development I would take the 59.0 group for deer and elk anywhere, as it would be perfectly fine for anything out to 400 yards. I've never shot farther than 200 at an animal.

I'll load up another powder day and try again. I would bet groups will get better just spending more time with the rifle again.