Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
I just got my rifle back from the 'smith. Today was the first trip to the range doing some load development.

She's a Remington 700, 30-06. Some aftermarket work done, so all that's left of the Remington is the action.

[Linked Image]

I want to get 180-grain Nosler Partitions to shoot about an inch, or better. All our rifles shoot one-hole groups on the internet, of course. Oh, 5-shot groups.

I started around Mule Deer's 58.0 grains Ramshot Hunter. I loaded up 57.5, 58.0, 58.5, 59.0 grains, all 2.735 inches to ogive from base. Lapua brass weight sorted but not sorted for neck thickness, CCI Magnum primers. I used the Lee Collet Neck Die this go-round, but also have a Redding S-Type Bushing Neck die.

Here's the 58.0 grain group:

[Linked Image]

If I throw out a "flyer" I get just over an inch, but with the flyer it's 1.7 inches. I didn't call the flyer. I do remember seating a bullet in this group that took 2 seatings until it was the same length as the others, so that could have been the flyer.

Here's the 59.0 grain group:

[Linked Image]

Around 1.26 inches.

I was thinking of adjusting OAL next, working in by 0.04 inches per 5-shots. Thoughts on using the 58.0 group or the 59.0 group? At this point I'm leaning to the 59.0 grain group, as there was no flyer.

Oh, I haven't forgotten about Mule Deer's tip of trying a faster powder with Partitions, but I can play with OAL for free.

Ok, I have some questions. What did the smith do to it as far as accuracy tweeking? Is it properly bedded? Lets see some pics of that too. You need to start out with the proper foundation. Were the lugs lapped and trued? Also, why are you using "CCI magnum" primers? I run regular old cci large rifle primers with great results in all of my 06's with all of the loads I run. Your numbers don't tell us how far off the lands you are running those bullets (you need to know this) and if you are looking for suggestions it's helpful for us to know too...Did you loctite those bases down? I'm assuming the scope is also "proven".... It's a rem 700, it should be shooting "bughole" groups....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA