Originally Posted by Nailbender59
Something I have started doing with a new to me rifle is to use a bullet and powder that gives me every opportunity to test the rifles ablility to shoot well.

30 cal Partitions gave me fits until recently.

I had problems with 2 grouping as has been mentioned, but I shoot 3 shot groups in hunting rifles for economy and I really only expect my hunting rifles to hold a good group for 3 shots.

I will take a bullet usually a Sierra and work with powders that have given good predictable results for myself and others.

Hunter seems to be one of those in the 30-06 along with IMR4350 and H4350.

I have even gone so far as to use a Match bullet, match prepped brass and match primers to test the rifles accuracy potential.

It seems that for me a new rifle needs to get 50 rnds down the barrel to settle down as long as the bedding, trigger and scope are OK.

Maybe check your scope for parallax. I have a 2.5-8 VX3 that has noticable parallax, but I have learned to work with it and I can shoot good groups with it having been on several of my rifles.

Lots of good advice you have gotten from others.

Really depends on what level of accuracy you want to attain as to how detailed you need to get.

Lee

Thanks Lee. I would believe parallax to be a potential source of error, especially with the new stock. I also believe more practice will help eliminate that problem, as I get accustomed to the proper head and body position.

My left hand was never comfortable during the shooting session, indicative I was not relaxed. Not my trigger hand, but still uncomfortable.

Thanks also for the bullet suggestion. If I can't get the Partitions to shoot I'll move on to Accubonds.