Originally Posted by Cartod
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Recent posts on this Topic have opined about the collectors market and prices in the future for rarer pre-64 Model 70 rifles....if GunBroker auction #278251380 (completed) is any indication, the market continues to be very strong at this time.
Holy cow! $16,000. That is nuts! Way too easy to fake that gun to be paying that kind of money!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=278251380

Not really an easy one to fake. Sure you can put a SG stock on a standard 7x57 carbine but first you have to find the 7x57 carbine and they are rarer then hen's teeth by a long shot! And I would bet that it being an SG only raised the value about $2000 which is about what a mint SG stock and metal are worth. IMHO it went for more than it's worth but two other people must have thought it was worth that or close to it. The rifle appears to be darn near mint shape, I have a 257 SG carbine that I consider to be in great shape but nowhere near what that one is.

I see a lot of people commenting on fake M70's and while they can and do exist I think some people are taking the parinoia a little to far. Winchester did make a lot of odd ball guns and they have to be somewhere.