Originally Posted by Cartod
I have an unfired pre 64 African. as many know because there were only about 1200 made these guns have really climbed in value. I have an unopened box of .458 ammo. The questions would you shoot it, or not?

[Linked Image]

Well, "unfired" isn't actually accurate, because they all get proof tested at the factory smile But you knew that.

Tough call. Do you consider the Pre-64 a specialty in your collecting? Or was it just a really nice rifle you bought to have, and you just enjoy having it in your collection?

I've...ahem..."deflowered" a few "unfired" collectible guns in my time, a couple of Colts. One probably cost me $300 to shoot, after I decided I didn't like it, and sold it. The other is a Colt 1911 limited edition, and I saw an "unfired" example at a Houston gun show for $4600, which is probably 4.6x what I gave for mine. That price is probably unrealistic, but I do wonder if shooting it cost me $1K or so. blush

I probably would not shoot the .458. There can't be more than a handful of them left in 99% condition. In their day, they were viewed as a less expensive alternative to the big British rifles, and most were used and used hard. I'm wagering it will continue to appreciate. So keep it and enjoy the appreciation, while still being able to occasionally show it off to your buddies, or sell it it and harvest the profits.

Heck of a rifle, in any case smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."