Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Those look pretty keen. A lot of folks use wax to fill the ends. The thing I don't fully understand is your parent case. Why the .444? Why not use the .460 S&W instead, probably negating the need to cut the case and also allowing for a tighter fit in the cylinders? A .454 Casull could also be utilized, which would for sure be easier to obtain.

I started making these shells back in 2001, at which time the .460 didn't exist. There was a reason for not using the 454 case, but damned if I can remember what it was. In any case, I've still got a bunch of these cut-down 444 cases on hand, so that's what I use. When I run low on 'em I'll likely switch to the 460 case.

"Tighter fit" ain't the problem. One thing I didn't discuss above was that the first time you fire these shells, you'll only get about 2/3 the shot in them because you have to fire-form the cases to fill the cylinders, as it were.

Originally Posted by ColeYounger
An evil snake accosted my daughter out by the old cow shed the other day but unfortunately the dread viper had hid by the time I made my next round armed with the Governor. The thing actually reared up and hissed at her.

That's a damn shame.
I gotta admit that if I had ever heard of using a longer case filled with shot, I can't remember it. Seems like a very good idea and thanks for the tip.

I reloaded shotshells clear back in high school on a Lee. First reloading experience I had and I've never liked it. I knew that in a pinch, I could reload some shotshells for handguns, like the .44 Mag., but I just wasn't into it, like I said last year, when I got the Judge.

I understand about fireforming the case, but for some reason, I just feel like the closer the initial fit, the better. The .444 isn't exactly readily available either, unless I'm mistaken. I've never owned one and don't pay that much attention to availability, though they're probably...possibly a bit more available than the ones I mentioned or the Supermag.

Anyway, thanks for the idea.