Originally Posted by logcutter
Furthermore, anyone who hasn't taken proactive steps throughout their life to save and prepare for their retirement or loss of employment, and is instead counting on SSI or any other governmental assistance to meet their needs is a [bleep] moron.

You are a "It can't happen to me guy" for sure....Loose your job/insurance and see how long your stash last.

Jayco

Wrong. I'm a "Prepare for it" kind of guy.

As a young man, I worked for the Texas Department of Human Service for a few years. Aside from the usual deadbeats and generational welfare recipients, I assisted those that were elderly and/or disabled (SSI/RSDI).

I learned early on "vicariously" through these individuals that never really took steps to ensure some means of income (aside from governmental assistance) for their retirement, loss of employment, or medical condition.

My exposure lead me to quad-triple my efforts to better myself and family's social-economic position. My wife and I have not labored under the false illusion that government would be there to meet our needs.

My wife and I have worked our asses off to ensure our family is as well prepared and provisioned as we possibly could.

We're self employed.
No debt.
Self sufficient to a degree as we have livestock, water wells, and grow food.

In addition to our self-employment, we have managed over the years to invest wisely, and build our assets. Through our efforts we have several independent sources of revenue.

I've directed my life and efforts in the belief and knowledge that I can better meet the needs of my family than the government.

I detest paying the amount of taxes levied, and came to realization long ago that the $$ I've paid into Social Security will not be there for me nor my family. Nothing I can do as an individual to change that, so instead I've focused my efforts on what I could do.

And in summation, that was my original point. Far too many people have labored under the false impression that what they have contributed into Social Security will be there for them, and that it will or should meet their needs. Far from it.

While no one can plan and be prepared 100% for what life throws at you, it still doesn't excuse one from being totally apathetic and not putting into means and practice what they can do with what they have available to ensure a better life and future for their family.