Originally Posted by Seafire
So out of Nosler's Reload Manual # 3:

"The longest measured shot I have taken on big game came with the 250. Using a lightweight Model 70 carbine with a 20 inch barrel, I dumped a sitka deer an honest 440 yds away..."

was all BS? that is good to hear!

as that is what I thought when I read it way back in the 80s when I first got the manual...

call me crazy.. but I have trouble believing someone who'd use the expression 'the antediluvian 250-3000' would be much of a long range shot... and more of a book worm, or someone who liked to look up and then use big words to make himself look a lot smarter than he really was....

That was my exact impression at the same time and after comments here by John Barsness, one of very few gunscribes whom I do trust and believe, I decided that my original "gutlevel" feeling had been right.

One of the best posters ever to grace this site with his genuine knowledge and considerable epistolary skill, your fellow Oregonian, the late Allen Day, was very adept at "flushing out" posers and pompous bullsh*t artists. I wish that we had more posters with Allen's experience, knowledge and ability to do just that.