I just returned from my gun dealer where I was reassured that a .257 Roberts Featherweight with my name on it was on its way to the store. With any luck, it should be in stock next week. After I pick it up I'll have it bedded and a Leupold Vari-X II atop it.

I have a 1951 NRA reloading book that lists .257 Roberts loads. It's amazing how much higher velocities were attainable back in the day.

I have had good luck with IMR 4350. I am going to experiment with 115 Ballistic Tips and 117 Sierras.

I have had six shoulder surgeries, so I am hoping to make this my primary and maybe only big game rifle. With the right bullet and correct shot placement, it will fell elk as cleanly as any other cartridge that is capable of destroying its heart.

The .257 Roberts vs the .25-06 Remington is similar to the .308 Win vs the 30-06. Less than 100 FPS is not going to make a difference in felling big game. And I'd rather have a 22" .257 Roberts than a 24" .25-06. I'd rather have a short action 22" .308 Win than a long action .30-06. But that's just me.

R