Hi BobinNH,

Thanks for the info.

I have had to reevaluate hunting rifles due to shoulder injuries. I haven't fired a rifle in about 10 years, which was about the time I had my first surgery on my right rotator cuff. I have had two more on the same shoulder since. Now I'm in balance: three on the left & three on the right.

I was drawn for Utah this season. The 7MM Rem Mag is ideal for the area I hunt. But I will not risk another shoulder surgery shooting magnums.

My gun dealer has a Featherweight .257 Roberts on its way. It should be in next week. I am hoping that it will allow me to resume hunting.

With a .257 Roberts and the right load, I might not need another big game rifle. But I will keep my Sako 7MM Rem Mag anyway. It is by far the most accurate rifle I have. I hope I am able to shoot it again.

If all goes well on this year's deer hunt, I will collect on my Utah elk bonus points. I should have about 20 bonus points -after my first surgery on my right shoulder I applied for bonus points only- so I am sure getting a tag will be perfunctory. If I am drawn, it will give me over a year to get good enough with my .257 Roberts to consider it for elk, which is why I am thinking 120 grain Partitions. If my .257 Roberts doesn't work out, I'll have to see if my shoulders can withstand 7MM Rem Mag recoil, or I'll have to give up elk hunting...and a lot of bonus points.

Take care,

R