Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I typically take the quarters out of my pack, put them in a cooler, then use the convenient handles to lift said cooler into truck bed. For elk, put the cooler in first.....

That'll work.

I haven't done it that way too many times because back ta home, we've got "facilities" akin to a professional butcher. Its faster, easier, and cleaner overall for us to load 'em in the truck whole, haul ass back to the house, hang the critter, skin it in a hanging position, rinse it down with dilute vinegar or bleach, and run it straight into cold storage without ever bagging or quartering it than it is to skin and quarter 'em on the ground, bag, etc for the drive home, then clean 'em up before they go in cold storage.

Not too many people have that slick a setup. Hunting out of area where it's more than a few minute drive, what you're suggesting makes sense.

Whether I hunt near "home" or not depends on family politics of the moment, unfortunately, so sometimes I get to use the cool toys, other times I have to do it the hard way.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...