Hi Vel (Jerry) approached me about evaluating his new Reticle-Tru reticle alignment tool. I agreed to check it out and he sent me a sample. It is designed to assist in aligning a scope reticle, true with the gun, when mounting a scope.

I've been mounting scopes on rifles for many years and it's always been a hassle to get the reticle perfectly straight. The hardest to deal with were the original Weaver rings with screws on one side. Tightening those screws would draw the scope slightly, so the reticle that stated straight, ended up canted. The newer Sure Grip Weavers have screws on both sides and are much easier to deal with. Those original Weavers were a test of one's religion...! blush

It's hard to watch the reticle and align the scope, all at the same time. I often back off so I can see glimpses of the reticle as I visually try to align the crosshairs with the vertical axis of the gun. I've even tried to align the horizontal wire with the top of a flat base, anything to index the inside of the scope with what's going on outside the scope.

Case in point. With my new Leupold VX-6 1.5-6x24, with German #4 reticle, I took great pains to mount it correctly on my 9.3x62 Mauser, as posted below.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6629536/3

I aligned the reticle as I always have, checked and re-checked, convincing myself it was straight.

I then attached the Reticle-Tru to the eyepiece with the supplied rubber band. I aligned the vertical wire of the reticle with the machined slot in the tool, then backed off to check it out. It was obvious, from the indicators on the Reticle-Tru, the scope reticle was slightly canted, like 12:02, rather than 12:00, straight up. I loosened the ring screws, aligned the bottom pointer on the Reticle-Tru, dead center with the rifle bolt, tightened the ring screws and rechecked the reticle. It was perfect.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is a very simple tool that should last forever. The only wearing part is the rubber band. This tool helps externalize the reticle alignment to better facilitate alignment of the scope with the rifle action, using reference points milled into the tool body.

Jerry is in the pre-prodution phase and doesn't yet have a price point. I think he's still working with the Patent folks.

I hope he can get it to market, as it's a "better mouse trap", so to speak. There are other devices designed to aid in reticle alignment. I think this one can hold it's own with any of them. It's simple to use and it works.

My disclaimer: This product was given to me to evaluate. The donation was not linked to my opinion, which isn't for sale, BTW. Jerry was very clear that he wanted my objective opinion and that's what I've done my best to express. If I didn't like it, I would have told him so, just privately... laugh

DF