Originally Posted by ScottM
Thank you all for the kind words as well as your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

I readily admit that I am a little uncertain about training these dogs. It's my nature to think that if something doesn't work as planned, I assume that I am doing something wrong. The variables of a dogs personality are hard to compute with "success". I can wrap my mind around the principle with my kids. But dogs are supposed to be predictable. You guys will probably find that amusing.

Help me with this one in particular because I worry about it (thus the collar idea). We're out on a big run. Doesn't matter if we are hunting or just playing. Normally he stays close depending on the cover. Checks in often. Excited to be with us. Next thing you know he's caught scent, or sighted something and off he goes. Hell bent for leather and I don't have a cord on him. Even if I did I couldn't catch him. No amount of calling, whistling, "hupping", or begging will turn him. I head off after him and sometimes he'll be gone for a quite a while. The roads worry me the most. Luckily most people drive slowly around here.

Without a collar how can I break that concentration? The desire to return is trumped by puppyish enthusiasm. What kinds of things would you be doing in particular?

Thanks all,

Scott

Sage grouse this fall.

[Linked Image]

Saw a few rattlers. Better get Garrett up off the ground. He loved it.

[Linked Image]

I'd let him run...up to a point, but if he won't respond and his safety is an issue, I'd whistle break him with an e-collar. That said, I respect ingwe's opinion, but running in the wide open spaces before your pup is reliable is a different deal.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett