After thinking this over, again the first thing I would do is get into a seminar or fly fishing club and get some basic fly casting instruction..Then I would purchase a beginning outfit..Again I would go for an 8 foot rod with a good double taper floating line..I started with a good 7 1/2 foot rod..I had others before, but this was the first good one..It works super to this day on small water..My next buy was an 8 footer..It is still catching trout, bass, bluegill,etc..Probably my most used rod..I like it so well I bought another off of Ebay...The 8 footer is a bit much for small water and a bit light for big water, but it does ok on both..I went for the double taper because it casts easier on small water, and I can cast almost as far on larger waters with it..
Next I would purchase several dozen flies, good selections have been pointed out..You can fish streamers in lakes and rivers with a long leader and bit of shot..Not perfect, but it will get you fishing..The reason I would NOT get into fly tying is JW is just trying this out..Tying flies is like loading shells, an enjoyable pastime, but something not every fisherman or hunter does.. I love loading shells and hated tying flies..If you are like me a casual fly fisherman, bought flies will work fine..I only fish, when I am not hunting, or as an aside to a hunting trip..If you become a serious fly fisherman, then the investment is worth while..For me it wasn't. I gave all my expensive rods to some kids who loved fly fishing and the same with the tying kit..I happily fish with my old Fenwicks and store bought flies,but only when I am not hunting..

Molon Labe