When they were talking about one atom or one molecule thickness, I think they were talking about obsidian and broken glass. They were fine enough to cut between 2 cells, during surgery.

Yes, the edges would be thin and damage easily. The usefulness would come in for eye and other types of surgery where a cut, and not a tear, was necessary, to lesson bleeding and promote quick healing.

There was also mention of a titanium alloy, that could be given a very fine, but fragile edge, but there was no discussion about it.

I found the subject interesting, although no one else seems to. My primary interest was concerning steel, something a knifemaker would have some control over, if he was looking for a steel that would give the very sharpest blade.

About molecules--molecules are the smallest particles a substance can be broken down to, and still retain the original substance. Molecules only occur with two or more elements combine, as opposed to mixing.

With steel containing several elements, 5 or 6 at least, isn't it possible that two or more of these elements would or could combine, forming molecules?