Crackey:

If you are going to say crap like this, at least tell the truth. I don't know where you got your information, but I never said a nitrogen quenched blade would shatter like glass. I know better than that. You should, too, being the expert you are.

As far as heat treating, and this is factual, and not an argument, although I am sure you will turn it around to mean just the opposite. Actually, I am not sure you will turn it around. You seem to have a knack of getting things backward regardless of how simple they are put.

But as for heat treating. Many years ago, I wanted to heat treat my own knives and I researched heat treating. I discovered that for high chrome, high carbon steels, such as 440C, ATS 34, 154CM, D2, and others, that if they were not protected by a neutral atmosphere, they would decarbonize.

For that reason, and the equipment needed to do it right, I decided to use a commercial heat treater. I felt home heat treating was beyond my abilities, and for these steels listed they could not be correctly heat treated by back yard methods. I still think that.

My choice was Paul Bos. If you consider him to be a caveman, then nothing I can say will ever make any sense to you.

I felt then, and I still do, that an incorrectly heat treated blade is worthless. The best and most expensive steel in the world will not make a suitable knife if the heat treating is done incorrectly.

I hope this clarifies things, but I have my doubts, knowing a little about your reasoning, or lack thereof, and your lack of plain common sense.

Those are the actual facts. If you try to make something else out of it, then you are a liar. But then, you know that, don't you?