Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Also, what about black power rifles, 45-70's etc. A lot a subsonic just bigger bullets. With the 300 AAC you won't take 200 yard shot. Short range quiet hunting. Cheap to make cartridges from 223. Same with 6x45.

I'll take a 200 yard shot with an AAC in a heartbeat but I'm anal about things, making sure i have the right bullet, can place it correctly, know the range, know the cross wind if any etc... IE this past weekend with 30 mph cross winds, no way but given workable data, and if you are anal about testing as I am, I'd have no qualms.

I've taken deer over 300 yards out with a 45 cal muzzleloader and sabots that are not all that much supersonic IMHO, and does just fine.

Shot placement has a LOT to do with death, as does bullet performance.

That being noted I"m the one that watched a buck get shot in BOTH lungs at about 125 with an 06 and the buck lived to be shot 3 weeks later healed up.... you just never know, nothing is 1000%.

As to 223 and heavy bullets, yeah BTDT more than once, but there are really no flies on a lot of the rounds mentioned here. I have a coyote with the x39 at over 500 yards. Couple of pigs with the same at 300ish. 6mm WOA which is 6.8 necked down, more than a few deer approaching 300. Its all in how you approach things. Much more so in the end than what you actually choose to use, so long as you know and stay within its limitations.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....