I believe I let the shot go too high on the doe I lost, shot with the .300 and 220 Matchkings. Not a bad shot - a bang flop with a .270 IME, but it sure didn't work in that case. Realize if sighted for 100 yards, the bullet - even one as streamlined as a MK, will have enough trajectory to be 4" high at 50 yards, and the shot was at about 60 yards. If I try it again, I need to be exacting on placement, in the heart or just over it. I dunno, maybe the Berger would be a better choice too, even though neither bullet is designed for game at those velocities.

I still like the gun/cartridge, but I may go for a Noveske 1:7 stainless barrel, just to get a little more twisty. Maybe I'll even give 240's a try at subsonic speed.

The other comment I would make, though, is I read the .300 is the equal of the 7.62x39. I'll say, not exactly - since the Rooskie round will drive 123's as fast as the .300 will run 110's. Neither of them equal to a .30-30, which even in a lever action will drive 160's to the high 2300's - and even higher in a strong action.

I kinda like the idea of the 7.62x40, but have seen no barrels suitible for subsonic heavy bullets.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 11/14/12. Reason: grammher :(

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."