Originally Posted by jimmyp
I will concede I know nothing about nothing, on the other hand I also stubbornly believe a Jack of all trades is a master of none.

rsilvers will drive by soon to set me straight!

If someone could point to a single thing other than subsonic it would do head and shoulders better I would go out and spend $900 on an AAC upper!

RE 8 being a compromise twist, is simply that you stabilize the slowest longest and that most of the ones that need less, won't suffer any more. IE the 6 and 6.5 twists in 224 for my 223 ARs. I"d have NEVER dreamed that 52s would shoot in a barrel and chamber that we designed specifically for 90 jlks at the time.

My BR buddy that changed over to highpower kept saying it might not be a compromise gun. But danged if it wasn't. Worked just fine. And amazed me.e

He still errs to the side that says slow twist and is the one that convinced me that a twist in 223 can stabilize 80s without any issues.

Yet, what good is a 240 or whatever out of the ACC if its not stable and accurate? So yes some folks do compromises. I don't on purpose, IE I'm going to head for a barrel that will take subsonic big bullets, because thats how its going to be used. If it works with 115s supersonic thats a plus.

In this all we never need to forget that the standard 223, as you've said so well, especially IMHO, with TSX bullets, kills damn near anything with ease that its pointed at in the deer/hog world.
Personally given that I hold to certain parameters, I would not be afraid to take on an elk with it either.
We did watch a good friends wife that shot lots of matches with us, ding a 250ish pound white tail buck that almost made book 2 years ago, 223 and 69 SMK.... one shot in the lungs and he took a few steps, looked around and fell over.

As noted nothing flaming or personal but each situation can be different, and while many subscribe to whatever the writers write about, I do all my research myself and set my guns up according to their intended task. Be it a slow twist poof varmint gun for mid range shots or a fast twist for whatever that happens to be applicable to.

Hope that makes sense. And of course you know by now I hate buying a built AR package as most of the crap I don't want, but some things I specifically want and most don't utilize them the way we do.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....