Esox,
<br>
<br>Many years ago about all we hunted was cut hay fields. I started hunting the farm I now deer hunt on about 15 or so years ago. They raise beans (soy beans) and corn and a small amount of potatos. (700 acres total). Once the bean plants come up the chucks move into the fields like flies over _ _ _ _ (well, you know the last word there).
<br>
<br>There seems to be a lot of chucks this year, for some reason. There is one field (not more then 35 acres) that we have killed 14 chucks out of and we know there are more in that field. I would venture a guess that 1/2 of the bean plants have been eaten down to the ground. They are about 4" high right now in the parts of the field where the chucks haven't been, yet. That field was re-planted yesterday since there wasn't going to be much of a crop. We will keep pounding the chucks as much as possible for several reasons. The owner of that farm has allowed us to place permanent, free standing elevated stands for the purpose of varmint control and for deer hunting. The more chucks we kill, the more crops will grow to maturity and the better the harvest for the farmer - as long as mother nature co-operates. Chuck holes tear up farm equipment.
<br>
<br>We have written permission to drive onto any property that farmer owns and/or leases. We are the only ones with written permission. When the son of the owner sat with us one night and watched us kill woodchucks to 550 yards he knew we were serious about our varmint hunting. We enjoy varmint hunting, plus it is good practice. It is a "win - win" situation for both the farmer and for us.
<br>
<br>There should be opportunities for at least another 30 to 40 kills on that one peice of property (460 acres) before the beans get so high that we won't be able to see the chucks.
<br>
<br>The farmer has other peices of property as well. We will keep the pressure on as much as possible.
<br>
<br>Have a good one,
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove