Greetings Gentlemen:
<br>I'm new to this site. My Rock Chuck count is 21 for the year. The Chucks are a problem at our cabin site. There are 26 cabins in the forrest with a no shooting agreement for the area so I am a tactful shooter. These chucks produce more dung that Chuck Schumer. I counted 46 of them by walking less than two miles through the area.
<br>While I normally use a CZ 223 Varmint or Lux on Varmints in this case I'm using a CZ Trainer in .22 LR and a CZ American in 22 mag. I working on reduced loads using Blue Dot for the .223s but I'm not satisfied with them yet. I'm looking for MOA load @ 2300 fps with a 50-55 grain Nosler BT that is not too noisey.
<br>This past week I managed eight kills. Three with the LR and the others with the 22 Mag. The LR kills were taken with one shot each at ranges of 50-65 yards. Hits were two head shots and one upper chest. The ammo was CCIs new Velicitor. This ammo shoots five shot into .75" @ fifty yards with this rifle. The longest shot was 139 yards with the 22 mag. Ranges with the mag were 90-139 yards. The 22 mag ammo was Winchester "Black Box" which will hold 1.1" at 100 yards with this rifle. All shots were upper chest except one that was behind the shoulder of a 95 yard shot. This was the only one to make it to his hole. For the eight chucks I fired nine shots. One LR shot hit a twig 10 feet in front of me and went wide. With the one exception mentioned above the kills were instant....the chucks droped and stayed down.
<br>My routine is to get up and have a cup of coffee and then walk out and bag just one chuck per day just after sun up. Great way to start the day.
<br>Earlier this year I bagged 320 (aprox) White Tailed Prairie Dogs about sixty miles from the cabin. Because of the drought the populationwas down. I shot several that had large black patches on their skin. The Div. of Wildlife told me this is not pleague; rather is is stress from the drought.
<br>
<br>Good hunting