Dave-thx for the info on the 300 RSAUM that's good stuff for those looking to build a long heavy belly gun chambered for that round. But in my world 17lb rigs don't do a thing for me.

That wasn't my intent of this thread but for giggles it'd be fun to twist up a 28" barreled 06AI. Something tells me that it'd pretty well stay with the 300 RSAUM if the barrel lengths were same same.

When I asked about your thoughts about taking 4" off a 28" barrel I wasn't asking you to literally do so. What I was subtly pointing out is that the speeds you mentioned make the RSAUM look faster, but if the barrel length is the same then there won't be much of a gap.

When I started this I was thinking about a lightweight hunting rig, that would shoot well. Have a bit more magazine capacity than a WSM (many handle 2 down, a fair # of 06's will handle 5 down and four for sure and I need all the help I can get).

And in the mean time I could use one of my existing standard bolt faced rigs and do the project for fun and giggles. With very little cost relatively speaking.

I do like the AI's as case stretch is minimal and trimming is fairly nonexistent. Plus I get a bit more gas for the effort. And yet I don't have to hotrod a case. I've had enough of that over the years... wink.

I have enjoyed the back and forth on this and in particular have enjoyed the comments from those who've worked with the round.

For whatever reason wildcats and AI rounds have long intrigued me. Probably has something to do with the whole odd number thingy...grin

Merry Christmas all!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy