I still have a early '70s Speer reloading manual that I find useful from time to time, especially with old powder and not so common products.

The writer who did the lead on the .30-06 AI, finished his article with words similar to this. He says the AI works well with heavier bullets combined with slower powders. He said that those who used light bullets and faster powders, simply did know what they were about.

From reading this thread, it seems like most users still agree. Personally, when Hornaday introduced the Light Magnum, reportedly at 2880/180 and the later Superformance at 2900/180, both from 22" barrels, my itch was satisfied. The Chrony I used for verification with my 24" barrel, did just a bit better than advertised and is plenty accurate for hunting.

I am also a fan of the .338/06. They work as advertised, all the way back to the OKH version. I do not have one now, but 200 grain C&C bullets and 210NP worked great. Since I did not go north to hunt, the 250NP and Woodleighs were just too much bullet for deer, hog, and coyote. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero