Originally Posted by fish head
Originally Posted by smokeeter
the barrel might be ringed or bulged, it usually occurs just ahead of the charged load, as a result of not entirely seating the bullet/sabot on the charge.

It is possible that the barrel bulged but I think it's unlikely if the projectile still maintains contact. If it fell through the barrel with absolutely no contact then I think it would far more likely.

It's worthy of checking though. Any detectable deformity (bulge or ring) on the outside of the barrel and especially at the "chamber" (I know, there isn't one) would be reason enough for me to make a tomato stake out it.

You could check it with a straight edge on the outside of the barrel and/or remove the breech plug and drive a slug out the breech end to see if there's a noticeable change confined to a small area.

The barrel could be rung and not visible from the outside , even with the aid of a straight edge. and as far as maintaining contact inside the barrel , well that depends on the severity of the bulge.Either way have it checked.
Sometimes it is visible by looking thru the bore with the plug out and a light at the muzzle, might be able to see a halo. This just sounds like it's in the right place ( just ahead of the charge/bullet).