Originally Posted by 338Norma

The 30-404 is a 300 Dakota

Well....almost.The 300 Dakota is a 30-404 shortened,and set up for 30/06 length actions.The original 30-404's were full length cartridges necked down and blown out and were more like he 300 Rem UM.Guys were messing with those years before the RUM or the Dakota were introduced.

I don't know what the "best 30" is but you have to put the 30/06 very close to the top,and it would be me pick.

For a higher velocity cartridge the 300 Weatherby strikes a nice balance even today between case design,capacity,recoil,and velocity..... not much more is gained with larger cases and recoil and blast get excessive by going to the larger case.

That said there really is not much to choose between the various belted 30's like the 300 Win,H&H,and Weatherby....all are good cartridges.I've owned and hunted all three and wouldn't give 10 cents for the practical differences between them when killing animals.

Longer necks show better barrel life because they draw heat away from the throat area to a greater extent than the shorter necks(at least that's what I have read);this is one of the design characteristics of things like the 6XC and why it supposedly gives greater barrel life than the 243 Winchester......who knows? But that's what they say... confused smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.