Alays have supported LE wherever we have lived and gladly still do so, but that does not mean I have not encountered a few nasty jerks along the way.

But - this is typical for me: Driving home from airport (200 miles) alone, returning from a family funeral and the last 100 miles are through big lonely country. Just before dark, almost home and eager to get there, and just flying - had no idea how fast I was driving. Rounding a sweeping mountain curve an oncoming state police guy hit me with instant-on radar and my detector buzzed at the same time I saw him flashing his lights at me. Looked at the speedo - triple digits - so I just slowed down and pulled off the road, opened my door, put my feet out on the step bar and just waited.

He came back to the scene, walked up, engaged me in talking to check for drunk, asked if I had a firearm in the truck, and I told him yes, two. The .45 on the dash board and my wife's .38 in the console. He asked why my wife didn't have it and I told him she was left behind an airplane ride away after a funeral. He asked if I was returning from the funeral - yes.

He took all of the usual paperwork back to his car, soon returned and told me that I have a clean record and he is not going to spoil it with this incident, especially since I am local - wrote me a warning but told me that I just cannot drive that big Dodge that fast, even if I am upset and chasing home. Asked me to give my word that I would drive more slowly. I did, and have ever since.

Typical for most out here.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron