Thanks for the advice. The only reason Im heading to Texas to hunt quail is, its home (real home). Plus its public land, and I know there are birds there. (and most folks don't hunt scalies, they want bobs).

I've got a few spots to check fairly close to home, but for the most part I usually drive about 5hrs one way. I'm not crazy about the idea of driving all over Nebraska trying to find a walk in area that hasn't been grazed down to nothing and crap land that wouldn't hold birds if you had a coop there. I've already wasted my time doing that in eastern Wyoming (and honestly the land the WYGF waste their money on for WIA's is a joke, and I hope they don't pay top dollar for access).

I had planned on ptarmigan hunting this past year but the flooding ruined that, but I plan to spend a good bit of time looking for them this summer (they are close, nobody hunts them, ect). Also I have a pretty close spot for blues. No many folks as you know i'm sure, well at least with a dog and shotgun.

If I wanted to pay out the wazoo and use someone else's dog Im sure a guide in SD or ND would be fine. But I know this is only my second season in my current location and realize its going to take years to find "my spots". It will just make it that much more sweeter in the end I guess when I do find a few honey holes. Plus better weather and bird numbers wouldn't hurt.