Around here, all the jobs that normally high school kids get, ( like working at McDonald's for instance) are being held by adults that WILL work....

programs at the local community college, particularly that have to do with anything medical, has a 2 to 3 year waiting list, of those that have been accepted....mainly women who have a husband that is permanently unemployed ( meaning he won't work), is a meth head or deals drugs and steals stuff from others.. they mainly take the minimal courses it takes to qualify as a CNA and then hope to get on with the local hospital... then work enough hours to get medical benefits and that is it...

my wife works in the staffing office at the local hospital, and it is amazing how little work ethic there is here on the west coast, vs the Midwest work ethic she came from being from Minnesota....

she even has to take periods of time off, when she maxes out her accrued vacation time.. and is one of the few women in the hospital in that position... use it or lose it and state law doesn't allow the hospital to just make her lose it...

if the roads are bad, half the staff calls in sick... if the weekend is going to have nice weather, seems half the staff calls in sick....people want to be paid to be on call, and then get all pissed off when they are called in....

as my wife grumbles about " I can't come in to work today, I broke a nail and have to go see my manicurist at 11..."...

this in a town with the economy being crap, even in the best of economic times...

about a third of the local working aged adults around here, are on some sort of assistance, half those are collecting under multiple identities weekly..... and it is probably just coincidence that according to the sheriff's office and the county commissioners, that they figure 1/3 of the local economy is also tied into production and distribution of illegal drugs...

however they look the other way, if it is not going to be distributed locally... they figure it is the job of those down the highway in California where most of it is bound for, to stop distribution down there....

people lose their unemployment benefits around here, they are busy scamming another way to stay on the Government Hand out program....doesn't seem to concern many.. they don't want to work anyway....

and getting a job, just means that they figure how much time it takes to work, and then get laid off, to start the cycle all over again... and the local governmental distribution agencies, seem to be orientated to counsel them on just how and when to do so... means job security for them to be needed to hand it all out...

democrats, spending other people's money....