I also weld so ......

So, build the "sub" out of the HEAVIEST steel you can mobilize, and anchor it solidly, square with the Planet. Have your press and vice mounts intersecting and tying to this sub.

Make the top out of the wood that you LIKE, and lavish all the care and attention you can on it, before you start making messes, and spilling stuff all over it smile .

I was on a LEAN budget (still am whistle) when I made my Bench top out of two laminated sheets of "Good One Side" 3/4" Fir, and skinned it with Masonite soaked in Spar Varnish. Figured it would , "get me going", and that I'd change it out down line. 12 years later I find myself busier with other chores, and liking the thing just the way I built it,.....and it's stood up WELL

When all is said and done, you can NOT beat the warmth of wood, and I've gradually added lots of nicely finished wood cabinets and shelving over the years. That's a personal choice, you may want something different.

One other thing,....get that bench EXACTLY the height at which YOU are going to be comfortable working at, for long and productive hours. Leave room for your knees underneath, when parked on a roll around bar stool

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain