Originally Posted by NeBassman
The sad reality of our healthcare system is that it does NOT operate under free market principles, hospitals do NOT list the prices they will charge.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/mone...lth-costs-wide-differences-locally_n.htm

WASHINGTON � Patients pay as much as 683% more for the same medical procedures, such as MRIs or CT scans, in the same town, depending on which doctor they choose, according to a study by a national health care group.

But if a patient does not know how much a procedure costs, he or she gets stuck with the remainder of the bill if it goes above that average price.

"It helps the small business," McClure said, "but the consumer's left out in the cold."

Providers, he said, often don't know real costs, either. When asked by patients for the cost of a procedure, providers often say they need to check with the insurer. The patient only learns the real cost when the bill arrives, McClure said. Legal reasons often prevent providers from discussing cost differences.

"The sad reality of our healthcare system is that it does NOT operate under free market principles, hospitals do NOT list the prices they will charge."

Add to this that often people can just not shop for better costs (as you can for a car or TV). If you are taken to the ER in need of immediate attention, you can't comparison shop for a better deal at another hospital; you need help now.

I just had a total knee replacement and my (highly recommended) surgeon practiced at one hospital; if I wanted him to do the job, I went where he practiced. Besides, I really don't believe another hospital would offer competitive costs. Hospitals are not in a price sensitive field of service.