Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I think he means they aren't used to or prepared for snow either.
they just didn't bitch when it came.

FYI, all your icy roads originated with snow. when it gets compacted it warms slightly and turns to water that then refreezes. lots of people driving makes it into snow.
why are all those people driving on snow if it isn't safe?
well I'm glad you asked! because they don't know any better and didn't heed the warnings that were in national news for days before hand. I know, I know. crazy talk it was and should have been ignored. and when it comes as bad or worse than predicted, if I were there, I would be embarrassed (no pun intended)with getting caught with my pants down. in the states that get regular snow, here's how they deal with it - no driving unless absolutely necessary, stay home if possible, heed weather reports and above all, SLOW DOWN and drive with CAUTION. all are concepts that apparently most "southerners" can't comprehend.
if you are one who can, I commend you. if what I just said made you furious, well then you are in the majority, congrats!

FYI Las Vegas NM is the same latitude as Tennessee, el paso is way more south than that.

There are some first rate pieces of work on this site that I was unaware of until this thread started. Please learn the difference between the South, the Southwest, the Midwest, etc.

I was not complaining or bitching about the recent weather event down here. I know how to drive in the snow. I can even manage in ice if the roads are not blocked by jackknifed 18wheelers. I was able to navigate through the ice covered streets and got home, but with great difficulty. Most Southerners over 40 years of age have driven in at least a half dozen snow storms in their lifetime. We are not complete idiots. What pisses us off is the condescending attitude of know-it-all asshats from a thousand miles away who are so certain they would have been smart enough to have avoided this. In the future if you happen to be caught by some flood, forest fire, drought, tornado or other weather event that was not forecast precisely, please remember your sanctimonious attitude here.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.