Lot of people want to talk bad about the semi auto Remingtons But There are a lot of good one out there incliding some 740 and 742 rifles.
The thing is a lot of rifle loonys dont understand is a lot of People who own them are more hunters than shooters.
Most ,not all mind you, are deer hunters who buy the rifle, sight in at 100 yards and dont shoot it again that year unless Killing a deer.
Next year shoot 3-5 rounds at a target to make sure it is still sighted in and dont shoot anymore until they kill a deer.
Damn hard to wear a rifle out like that!
It is true that some jam but MOSTLY bad mags and WD-40 are the culprits.
These guns for the most part do what the owners want them to do and that is kill deer and provide a quick second shot.
Now I would not buy a semi-auto used Unless I could shoot it first OR new the person and could trust their word.
It might have to be cleaned well and or need the chamber brushed out real well as a lot of owners hunt in wet weather and then dont clean the chamber and oil it. that doesn,t work too well with a semi auto as the dont have the camming power of a Bolt rifle.
I bought a Remington 7600 270 win that did not want to chamber or eject, A look with a bore scope showed light rust in chamber . I took some fine steel wool and using an electric drill polished the chamber and it worked smooth as silk.There is a reason they put the dogleg brush in there with a Remington semi auto !
Are they as reliable as a bolt rifle ? No,but I have had plenty and seen plent that DONT jam.
AND I have NEVER seen one thet wont put 3 shots in 2 inches or less at 100 yards rested and MOST will shoot less than 1.5 inches for 3 shots or less.
But the blanket statements that ALL Remingtons are jam o matics is nothing but pure Bullsh..

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money