Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
My problem with the whole idea of dumbing down the advantages of modern equipment to suit the skill set of the average shooter, is that equipment capability has always determined what can be achieved, not the current skills of the average user. To clarify, the human being is an amazing thing, and is capable of constantly expanding its abilities and capacities to match the tools at its disposal. If we limit what the "average shooter/hunter" is capable of by saying that he really doesn't need any equipment advantage because he doesn't have the knowledge or skills to utilize that advantage, we are limiting the progress of hunters and shooters as a whole.

I'm sure the spear throwers had the same conversations at the advent of the bow and arrow; "we really don't need a stick with a string to throw our sticks farther, the average hunter can't hit an animal much farther than 5 big steps away, anyway". Or with the advent of the first cartridge-firing rifles, shooting "high velocity" bullets- "I can't even see farther than 50 yards anyway, what do I need a rifle that shoots a little bullet that fast for? My .54 front stuffer kills critters great out to 50 yards".

Even in the last 15 years, I would venture to say that the proficient range of the average rifleman has increased significantly. I remember reading 15 years ago that 300 was a bloody long way off. I'd say 400 yards is the new 300 yards with the advances in scopes, powders, and bullets. People increase their skills and knowledge to match what is possible with modern technology and equipment, not the other way around. Progress and ballistic advantages are moved forward one small advantage at a time, and the better the average shooter becomes educated about these small advantages, the better prepared he is to use them and improve his skills to fully utilize them.

Your assessment of technology advances is certainly spot on, and I have no problem with those advances per se. One season of hunting with a T/C Hawken showed me why folks were so happy to see the advent of cartridge firearms.

But (addressing the general forum now) with all of these advances in technology and bullet BC's and all, has anybody ever thought about just stalking closer?

I like having options grin

Sometimes I prefer to stalk closer than necessary, given the conditions. Other times conditions may not warrant getting closer due to time, too many animals in the herd watching me, wind direction, etc. It never hurts to be able to connect near or far wink

I prefer to shoot game at bow range, but Im setup for the long ball too. Like Jordan said, its nice to have options and an all around rifle that works for both long and short shots.