Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
I have been so desperate for a big bowl of pho...

So you're a "mo pho" kind of guy? grin

Pho' sho'!

wink

In your standard beef Pho (actually pronounced 'fah', or 'fuh') there are several different cuts/types of beef. Flank, brisket, tripe, ground/meatball, and connective tissues (my that sounds appetizing! wink ) such as tendon. The tendon is not for everyone, but I LOVE the stuff. Sort of like the rich stuff one finds on oxtail, or on the bone on ossobucco. Funny, but my brother remembers the first time I ever tried pho, in a place in Allston back in the early 90s. I ordered the 'Xe Lua', which is basically the large size beef rice noodle soup with everything. When I got to the piece of tendon, I picked it up, trying to puzzle out what it was. My brother and I both were stumped, and one of us said, 'wait a sec; is that a fuggin' EAR?' After we regained our composure I then shrugged and ate it. I order extra now. wink

To make the tendon tender enough to eat it has to be cooked for many hours. The consistency is very slightly chewy, but oh so rich and tasty. Every pho place is different, but good ones are must haves for anyone, IMO. I can think of 7 or eight rogues I met here who I've taken to try it. Not a single complaint to date...

cool

In the third pic there is a piece of tendon visible, but all of them have it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]