I think the issue with 6.5 is mostly overpenetration - unless you are using the 264 wm at very fast velocity. I used a 140 accubond out of my 260 going 2850fps to take a small mule deer at 200 yds last season and whith a perfect behind the shoulder broadside shot the deer ran 30 yds - which is not bad. The bullet was a full pass with fairly small exit and no blood trail at all. I used this bullet as was also looking for elk. Yes it was a humane kill ( and 50 yds from the truck), but I would have liked to see more energy dumped inside the animal instead of wasted in the ground.
I used a 129 grn sst the year before at 45 yds front chest shot and was drt - did not even move - just dropped with all four feet in place. Prob took out the cns on that one.
Point is with high sectional density of the 6.5, penetration is not even a issue to look at regards too little. Good energy dump is vital - unles you like to take out shoulder bones. In my mind a round that dumps 50 percent fast but still retains base to get exit wound is way to go - partition or 120 and up nosler bt for all around and 140 amax if you think you are going to take 200-500 yd shots.
This is what is soooooooo great about the 6.5 - can really have a lot of flexibility in bullet choice/weight and easy on shoulder and great bc/sectional density of bullets. You can tailor your shot placement to the bullet type - I should have shot the shoulder bone at 200 yds with that 140 accubond as it was too sturdy for a lung shot/drt. The same shot (lung)with the amax or nosler bt or part or berger vld would have drt results. Fun stuff lads!

Last edited by jdbz; 06/01/14.