Originally Posted by BayouRover
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by PeeDeeRiver
Originally Posted by TC1
The 7X57 was made for the M98! Good grief. crazy

It was actually made for the small ring M93.

And the M98, but thanks for the needless correction anyway.

This is probably just another needless correction, but the 98 Mauser action was originally designed around the 7.92�57mm Mauser cartridge (more commonly called the 8 MM Mauser).

And yes I understand that the cartridge lengths are the same so there is no need to have you bother going into a lot of extra detail to fill me in.

BTW - a 1909 Argentine 98 action in 7X57 is a great action to build a custom rifle from.

No where did I say originally and the statement I made was and is correct. The 7X57 was chambered for all the Mauser variants, including the M98. My comment was in reguards to another comment made by another poster that the 7X57 is too short for the M98. It isn't and I thought a simple one sentence reply would suffice, apparently not. Further more .30-06 length cartridges will not fit in a lot of M98 actions without deep seating because the the bottom metal was designed for **X57 cartridges, INCLUDING the 7X57. That's one of the things that made them so reliable and gave them the reputation they have today is the magazine box was designed for a particular cartridge for that rifle. Winchester did the samething in thier Pre-64 model 70. That's one of the reasons high end builds get new bottom metal. If you want the most reliable feeding from your M98 and you are changing cartridges, it's a wise move to change the bottom metal with a box that's designed for that class cartridge and it's stacking geometry, not just longer. It's not just for looks, it's also a functional upgrade.

The 7X57 is not too short for the standrd M98 action. It would be a great choice.