Originally Posted by txhunter58
Saddle: His gun may not shoot "plain old 370 grai maxiballs" or any other pure lead conical because of its QLA. Probably will do OK with powerbelts, but not flat based lead bullets. It might, but he is new and short timin so I wouldn't waste my time with them. Especially because the super duper banes is not that much more expensive than powerbelts or even maxiballs. In the future, he might be someone who goes out and shoot a lot, but for this year, probably won't happen, so the cost difference in bullets will be negligible.

So in my mind, his choices come down to barnes, powerbelts or Hornaday FPB. When I finally get my tag for Utah, I plan on giving barnes a try. Nope, never shot one, and in fact never shot a sabot, but they sure have a good reputation.

That said, I am going to be using a 460 gr pure lead bullshop bullet on elk this fall! That will put them down for sure! But those bullets gave me a 5 inch group at 25 yards with my Omega (basically the same barrel he is using)

TX. My only beef was Anaconda's post where he made it sound like the Barnes was the only one that worked and all others were trash. No, his modern inline, if that is what he is using, probably won't shoot maxiballs. Wrong twist. But any of the others that several have mentioned would all work just as well

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles