Originally Posted by Todd_Bradford
Traumatic tissue damage kills. And there is no way in hell that a 200 grain 35 caliber bullet traveling at the same speed as a 170 grain 30 caliber bullet is going to do less damage.... to claim it will do less damage is just ignorant.

True dat. If you were to run the two loads through calculators like Taylor KO value and such, the 35 Rem will always come out on top. Saying the 30-30 "will easily out penetrate the 35 Rem" is just plain not true. Penetration calculators like Hornady HITS calculator would show them to be extremely close. Nearly the same. Or the one Beartooth bullets has on their site. However, the 35 is gonna cause more damage no matter how you slice it.

A quote from Hornady manual: "The 35 Remington is ballistically superior to the 30-30 Winchester, and closely approximates the 375 Winchester".

Saying the 30-30 kills more effectively than the 35 Rem is kinda like saying the same about 308 vs. 358 or 30-06 vs. 35 Whelen, IMO. Only difference is, the larger bullets are actually traveling slower out of these cartridges. My 200gr 35 Rem loads travel nearly the identical speeds as my 170gr 30-30 loads. And they are visibly larger. You can't argue with physics.

Anyhoo, I'm not trying to argue. Both are great, classic cartridges. I own 4-5 30-30s. Only 1 35 Rem now........