powdr;
Thanks for the thought provoking thread and thanks to those who've replied to share their experiences and thoughts on a subject I've pondered over often.

Honestly after watching our two girls grow up I believe that most of our traits are born in us, though indeed where we're born and how we're raised will affect whether or not the particular trait is nurtured.

I was born in very rural Saskatchewan in '62 where almost everyone we knew hunted and everyone had firearms. The pastor at our church hunted, the power guy, the grain elevator guy - but certainly it was all guys back then.

As far as I can determine my grandfathers on both sides hunted once they came to western Canada from Europe and my late father was an avid hunter.

The family joke - so I learned much later in life - was that I came to be after Dad returned from his annual two week moose hunt.

I'm told when I was 3 or 4 that I'd throw a fit when Dad wouldn't take me along on that annual hunt - and my brother who is 9 years older than I couldn't understand it as he wanted to farm - not hunt.

Here's me in '65 with a moose I "claimed" as mine. Yes that's a toy gun in my hands.
[Linked Image]

A wee bit later, perhaps unsure if I've brought "enough gun" - but still on the hunt.
[Linked Image]

Again my father's love of hunting and him taking me afield when I was young encouraged my personal hunting journey, but I'm the only sibling where it really "took".

In the final analysis powdr I'm of the belief that it's something we're born with - but that does make sense to me really since we must have hunting, fishing and farming genes or DNA deep inside us from the years when we did it to survive.

Thanks again for your thread sir, thanks to those who've responded and still might. All the best to you all this Labour Day weekend folks.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 08/30/14.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"