This is an awesome thread!
My hunting heritage comes from nearly every area of my ancestry as well as upbringing. Being American Indian and raised on reservations I never knew a time when I wasnt exposed to hunting regularly. Al the non Indian family members are or were hunters too. Matter of fact my moms father was of Irish blood and he became a heck of a hunter and well known fisherman after getting out of the Navy and marrying my gram and moving here. I have his Remington 721 270!

It was my dad who taught me how to hunt and fish and be a woodsman and horseman. He also instilled in me the value of good hunting dogs and the idea of reloading -he had not gotten around to doing it yet but it was always the plan. I had my first 22 at age 6, was hunting small game with bb guns, that Chipmunk 22 and a Westernfield .410 and killed my first deer at 10 and have been hunting and fishing all my life. The tradition continues on as my nephews are learning as well.

Growing up a subsistence hunter on the reservation, northern california, and always being ready to take advantage of an opportunity I learned early on that shot placement is everything but still a properly designed round for the task can sure help, and magnums are not necessary for anything I do.