Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Robert,

My experience is that bolt actions designed for the .30-06 (and similar rounds) will feed the 6.5x55 perfectly. The only difficulty in rebarreling is, occasionally, the bolt face. The 6.5x55 rim is (theoretically) slightly larger than the .30-06's, up to a maximum of .479", but American 6.5x55 brass tends to be made with a .30-06-sized, .473" rim.

Also, I've yet to encounter a controlled-feed bolt face that couldn't handle European 6.5x55 brass, which typically has a slightly larger rim. (The Lapua, Norma and RWS brass I have on hand all measures .476".) Some push-feed bolt faces, however, are little too tight for Euro-brass rims.

Another caution is that 6.5x55 chambered dimension vary considerably, both in throat length and body size, and since brass also varies this can cause problems--unless, of course, the chamber is all-around generous. Despite the larger rim size, European brass is typically slightly smaller in body diameter just in from of the rim. This doesn't matter most of the time, but the Lilja barrel of my custom 6.5x55 was chambered with a minimum-dimension Pacific T&G reamer, and American brass won't fit unless I size the base of the body down with a .45 ACP die. European brass fits fine.

All of this may sound like putting together a 6.5x55 is a PITA, and to a certain extent that's true. But you can have a bolt action rebarreled by E.R. Shaw for $300 or a little more, with a chamber that will handle all types of brass. (Some people don't think Shaw barrels are any good, and that was kinda true before 2000, when they completely retooled. I've use 7-8 Shaw barrels since then, which have all been good to excellent.)

On the other hand, you can just go buy a factory rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor or .25-06. Or look for a used factory rifle in 6.5x55. I could have solved a lot of my personal rifle loony hassle if I'd just held onto that Ruger 77 Mark II 6.5x55 from a few years ago.

Thanks a million for this detailed explanation. Seems to me that you could probably write a short book with about ten chapters going over the history, comparing swede to other cartridges and explaining the reloading fiddle fart and on and on. I'd buy it. I would bet a lot of folks would.

Thanks again neighbor.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.