Originally Posted by JGray
Too cool all around. I shot my first deer with my Dad's Remington 03A3 (sporterized) at age 13 in 1974. I always hoped to inherit it someday but it's long gone. I've wanted a Springfield ever since but haven't found the right one. I'm envious - yours is exactly how I'd want one...

Edit to add: not sure if this helps with the ammo question, but we always practiced with milsurp ammo and hunted with Remington 150 factory rounds which shot to the same point.

These days nobody but a dumbass would rework an original 03 or 03A3 into a sporterized configuration, they are just plain worth to much money as originals. I prefer an 03 but my eyes say the 03A3 is easier for them to focus with the rear bridge sight. The trick to get a nice sporterized Springfield these days is to keep hitting your gun shops and watching the used rack. As our greatest generation is dying off their heirs are reducing dad and uncles legacies of sporterized Springfields and Mausers from the post WW2 era into a few $ to buy rubber dog sh*t with . The guns just don't mean anything to them even if they could tell all the stories behind them. Lot of these guns have a Williams bolt handle, low swing safeties, d&t'ed for Weaver bases or a one pc Redfield jr., had their barrels whacked off behind the frt sight, after market triggers, changed out bottom metal(03 preferred), and a sporter blank from Herter's ,Bishop or Fajen. They only sell for $2-300 bucks. The ones that haven't had the barrels bobbed off bring more because more than a few guys will take and restore it back to a dresser. Still a lot of milsup parts floating around out there. 3 of mine I have less than $150 each in, you know they make the finest truck gun there is as they are dead reliable and chambered for a cartridge that is never wrong. Magnum man