Originally Posted by wyoming260
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Also a nice .256 Newton article by Terry Wieland in Handloader #295, even if there are errors in it.
I wish the article had more pictures of the rifle and more importantly the action, then how to make brass from a .270..... but being "Handloader" and not "Rifle" I undersdtand why they did this. If Newton was a better business man, things like the .256 and .30 Newton would have taken charge early. The .30 Newton was a magnum type cartridge before it was even a thing to be. It took Winchester and Remington until the 1950s and 1960s to fill in the gaps Newton did in by 1920.
His guns were a little over complicated and probably expensive to manufacture, but in their day were cutting edge..... Nowadays, all the cutting edge guns are just designs made to be cheap to produce.....

Newton was a poor and unlucky businessman. He originally contracted with Mauser to provide large ring actions, but only a few were made before August 1914 and the beginning of "The Great War". Next, he built them in Buffalo on the 1st Model Newton action like the one in Wieland's article. When Newton went bankrupt, the unfinished parts were assembled and sold under the "Meeker" brand. Newton's next attempt was the New Haven built Buffalo Newton, which is a dangerous action and one that I would never fire a round from and would never recommend that anyone fire a Buffalo Newton either. The triggers on the Buffalo Newtons are beyond dangerously unsafe.

I can't say that I knew Bruce Jennings well, but I knew him well enough to visit him and talk Newtons with him a time or two. Another guy who is a true Newton expert is occasional firearms author Jim Foral.