I really enjoyed the article. I have always thought the Win 95 was a cool looking rifle. One of the Local gun shops had a Winchester 95 in 405 hanging on the wall back in the 60's. It wasn't only out of reach for this teenager because it was mounted high up, the gun shop owner put a price on it that said loud and clear "it isn't really for sale." It did the job it was supposed to do though. It got me hooked on lever actions and I knew I would have one one day.

I found a Winchester 95 in 30/40 about 20 years ago with a busted butt stock that had been cut off to about a 10 inch length of pull. The barrel had been shortened to 24 inches and a new front sight installed. It was a butchered up clunker with a clean action, a very good bore and a low price. It left with me. A few months of TLC and it still looks like a clunker, but it has a new stock and it shoots great.

I like an old Winchester lever action, that is in good shape, but not really collectable. My 95 fits the bill and the price was right. It is slick operating, which really surprised me, but not very handy to carry. I have never carried it hunting, although I have shot it some. I might need to see if the rifle is still up to a deer hunt or two this fall.

Harry