Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Feral cats are a huge problem here. So are domestic cats that are allowed free roam.

rockdoc:

I don't know if you're old enough to remember the show "In The Wild" with Harry Butler, almost 40 years ago, now.

I remember one episode where he's deep in the bush, parking his Land Rover and he's talking to the camera about how he's here, deep in the bush, to find a small, endangered little tweetie bird, quite rare, hardly ever seen, once thought to extinct, etc.

And while he's talking, he takes a double bore shotgun out of the Rover, puts it over his shoulder and walks up a little hill. He pauses and says to the camera something like, "oh, this isn't for the bird, it's for the feral cats. I kill 'em whenever I see one."

I about died laughing.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Welcome back.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I personally shoot every damn feral cat I can get a bead on. Could not tell you the number I have dispatched through the years.

May have gotten a few non feral ones as well, but then.......oh well. smile

Sam......

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Feral cats are a huge problem here. So are domestic cats that are allowed free roam.

rockdoc:

I don't know if you're old enough to remember the show "In The Wild" with Harry Butler, almost 40 years ago, now.

I remember one episode where he's deep in the bush, parking his Land Rover and he's talking to the camera about how he's here, deep in the bush, to find a small, endangered little tweetie bird, quite rare, hardly ever seen, once thought to extinct, etc.

And while he's talking, he takes a double bore shotgun out of the Rover, puts it over his shoulder and walks up a little hill. He pauses and says to the camera something like, "oh, this isn't for the bird, it's for the feral cats. I kill 'em whenever I see one."

I about died laughing.

Yes Harry is a very practical conservationist. Still working AFAIK.

I laugh at the "trap, neuter, release" wankfest.

There aren't enough resources to even contemplate such an unrealistic feel-good idea.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
17 Remington works well on ditch cougars just remember the 200 yard rule

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
22LR works great for feral cats. I shot one at about 40 yards near a chicken coup, cat launched into the air and landed, but not on his feet. A rooster came out mad as can be and did the chicken shuffle on the cat!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
17mkII is great on them, too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys kill me. You called a fellow on here every name in the book for shooting stray dogs. Unfamiliar cats are threats to you. You don't know if the cat u shoot in my pasture is my barn cat, the daughters pet or a stray. You can bet I'll be unhappy if u shoot any cat in my farm from the road. I'll take care of things my way. On public land do as you wish but leave the private land critters alone. Thanks.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Exactly.

I might kick someone in the ass if they shot one of the farm's haystack cats.

Wannabee animal control yuppies going full out tactical on a fuucking cat is hilarious.

This site is full 'bad ass' dumb fuucks.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago while I was going to school, we lived in a trailer park for a couple of years. There was a big feral cat problem. The park manager trapped a bunch but he couldn't keep up with them. In particular, there was a huge steel blue tom that terrorized every cat in the park, pets and wild alike. He was one mean Jose. I called him Fluffy.

One night we came home and somehow he'd torn out a window screen and got in the house. I told the boys to close the window and get ready for a chase. The rein of terror was going to end that night.
It took us 45 min to finally corner him under a dresser. I had the boys wrap a trashy old blanket around the legs and told them when he came out to roll him up in the blanket. Then I went to work with a broom handle. A few good whacks and he tried to run the barricade. The boys did a great job of rolling him up. He went nowhere.

I put him in the trunk of the car (still rolled tight in the blanket), a short drive to the country, a 20 ga. load of #4's from 6', and no more Fluffy.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I WISH my yard cat Buddy was still alive. I am overrun by friggin rabbits,chipmunks,skwerls blackbirds,pigeons,sparrows and voles that he used to be in fair control of. He also ran off a fair sized woodchuck that attempted to set up housekeeping. I had to put Buddy down due to cancer in 2012 and the varmints have taken over. I would MUCH prefer a cat or three.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I live a half mile off a dead end road, no houses around. I get the drop offs to deal with

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
you ought to ask the neighbors of the lady on my street that is feeding that feral cat population of 20 or so that visit every night. They are not particularly happy with the situation.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I spent the nights with a woman for about 6yrs who to this day if she's still alive will drive down International Dr. in Orlando's tourist haven during rush hr. every day of her life come rain or shine.

She will take dry and can cat food, water jug and sit next to a noisy AC unit behind one of the big motels and watch all the stray cats eat their supper. She gives them all names.

I forgot to mention she's a card carrying PETA member.

Last edited by Hoyt; 07/24/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Roadie the ranch cat, who lives on my deer lease.

[Linked Image]

He is an old, skilled hunter and expert mooch. No mice problems at the cabins. They have about 20 feral cats on the ranch, but he is the only one who is smart enough to be friendly, meaning I feed him. I've threatened to kidnap him, too, but doubt he'd do well as a house cat.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

You guys understand that the OP's link is to a story about feral cats in Australia, right? Which is a situation not remotely like any farm property belonging to any of the US forum members posting here, right?

A feral cat in Australia is not a haystack cat, or a barn cat, or somebody's daughter's cat. Nothing remotely like it. Not even close.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
A farm cat is not a feral cat.

Australia or otherwise.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Exactly.

I might kick someone in the ass if they shot one of the farm's haystack cats.

Wannabee animal control yuppies going full out tactical on a fuucking cat is hilarious.

This site is full 'bad ass' dumb fuucks.
lmao

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I WISH my yard cat Buddy was still alive. I am overrun by friggin rabbits,chipmunks,skwerls blackbirds,pigeons,sparrows and voles that he used to be in fair control of. He also ran off a fair sized woodchuck that attempted to set up housekeeping. I had to put Buddy down due to cancer in 2012 and the varmints have taken over. I would MUCH prefer a cat or three.
Cats are pretty good on snakes too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257wby
You guys kill me. You called a fellow on here every name in the book for shooting stray dogs. Unfamiliar cats are threats to you. You don't know if the cat u shoot in my pasture is my barn cat, the daughters pet or a stray. You can bet I'll be unhappy if u shoot any cat in my farm from the road. I'll take care of things my way. On public land do as you wish but leave the private land critters alone. Thanks.

I agree 100% on the hypocrisy on the fire and shooting people's pets but if you're referring to SBH shooting "stray dogs",,, he clearly stated it was a drive by in retaliation for some wrong that he perceived the dog owner had done him. He also said the dog was in a "pasture" (kinda like the one your barn cat resides in).

Also, the hypocrisy goes both ways considering cat owners think nothing of turning their cats out to roam all night yet have a fit if someone's dog is running loose.

Bottom line,,, cat, dog, or lizard,,, whether you live in the city or in the country,,, keep your pets at home.
And don't shoot chit on private property unless you have permission.
Problem solved.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,198 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,056
Posts18,482,343
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.