Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Never had to resort to come-a-longs, But have been armpit deep into many a cow tieing baling twines to the little critter's ankles so I could get a good tug.

My wife and I were in the hospital to deliver our first child.
The Obstetrician asked if I was going to be okay to sit throuh the delivery.

I answered "Damn, I forgot my baling twines!"

Dr said "Baler twine.....What the heck?"

Me: "To tie around his little feet and pull him out."

Dr grinned real big and said "Yeah, you'll be all right."

Momma was less than impressed!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by SamOlson
That is a freak accident but I can see how it could happen.

75 year old rancher still trying to get it down and messed up.

Cow must have slipped the rope or head gate while he had the chain looped on his wrist as he attempted to slip it above the calf's ankle. Other end of the chain was already on the calf's other leg.

Cow spooks and he is in a bad place.

Yep. I imagine you are right.

Granddad always said, never more then one wrap around your hands with the chain.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's not a Darwin situation, just bad luck. I've pulled quite a few calves that way although the chains I've used had handles. I've never had a cow take off, though. They've always been lying down. He probably took a turn around his wrists for a better grip.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bottoms Up Chris.

[Linked Image]

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
We got to remember 99% of the posters here could die just running a garden tiller

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use nylon straps with loop on the end. Little easier on legs if you have a hard pull.

Pulled our first calf in years here last Saturday night. Got called while at an SCI banquet and had to leave early. Saved the calf. Kids thought it was a little intense and brutal.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have pulled a lot of calves with chains, baler twine, lass ropes. Come-a-longs, 4 wheelers, saddlehorses and even a bonafied cal puller lol. Worst one I ever pulled was on the side of a mountain. This other fool and I were checking cows. We spied this old girl, she was a little sick, got up close to her and saw one front foot sticking out. So we roped her and turf her so we could work on her. Calf was dead and pretty ripe. Took it out in pieces with a pocket knife, pigging string and our hands. Damn sure didn't attach your nose or take a dip of snuff till we got back to camp lol. The cow lived. Ed

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Friggen auto spell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Bottoms Up Chris.

[Linked Image]

Yep.....you gotta be a sick puppy to find any humor in this story....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Walton says authorities euthanized the cow in hopes of saving the man's life but that the rancher was pronounced dead at the scene.

I'm guessing a .223 out of the trunk of someone's patrol car did the euthanizing. Must have been a rough incident to work.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The OP is one of the biggest Jackasses to ever post on this website...he keeps getting banned and then just returns later with another alias....

the proverbial turd that won't flush...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by m_s_s
I have pulled a lot of calves with chains, baler twine, lass ropes. Come-a-longs, 4 wheelers, saddlehorses and even a bonafied cal puller lol. Worst one I ever pulled was on the side of a mountain. This other fool and I were checking cows. We spied this old girl, she was a little sick, got up close to her and saw one front foot sticking out. So we roped her and turf her so we could work on her. Calf was dead and pretty ripe. Took it out in pieces with a pocket knife, pigging string and our hands. Damn sure didn't attach your nose or take a dip of snuff till we got back to camp lol. The cow lived. Ed

Ed, dead calves are the worst. Prolapses aren't much fun either but at least they don't smell.

I pulled dead twins out of an old cow last spring, they were only half ripe. About a month later we find another poor old cow in trouble. Got her down and I could smell death as I walked up.

Calf was backwards(and hot), tried for about an hour but I couldn't get it pushed back in. It became clear she wasn't going to make it to the vet so I had to shoot her.

Sunday afternoon.

Didn't have any OB gloves in the pickup, threw away my shirt and took a LONG shower. Swear I could smell(that smell) for a day or two.

All quiet tonight out in the heifer pen, only 22 left!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
One thing about it (still terrible) but at 75 and still going you know he was doing what he loved!! Beats hell out of sitting in nursing home choking on oatmeal!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mohick
One thing about it (still terrible) but at 75 and still going you know he was doing what he loved!! Beats hell out of sitting in nursing home choking on oatmeal!!!!

There it is cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nope, that smell don't "wash right off".

It's a job to get out of the way on an empty stomach, too.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The closest I ever got to getting really hurt with a cow was a heifer with a dead calf hanging out of her. I wasn't very big or old, maybe 10 or so and helping dad try to get her up so we go to work on getting it out. I was easing her through a pin oak flat with an inch or two of water on the ground. She was starting g to get wild and turned on me. The pin oak leaves with that water in them were like ice and when I tried to get out of the way, I slipped. She got me down and stomped on me and for some reason instead of just trying to get away like most of them do, she kept stomping on me. Just a few bruises in the end, but it easily could have been worse had she conected on my head like she seemed to be trying to do and almost did.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rem141r
i'm no ben cartwright so forgive my ignorance. there's such a thing as a "calf pulling chain" ?? holy fugg that sounds brutal. glad my steaks come from costco. no chains needed there.

Lordy Lordy!

All some folks know about is concrete, asphalt, and street lights!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sam, I think "dead calf" might be the worst thing I have ever smelled.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by mohick

There it is cool

This is exactly what I thought. What a great way to go. Fighting the good fight right to the end.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Sam, I think "dead calf" might be the worst thing I have ever smelled.

Especially after brewing a day or 3 inside there.

Its a wonder them old girls survive it.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 7mm_Loco, 7 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.