Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

Let her choose both the cartridge and the pistol. If she chooses at least she will carry and use it

This ^^^^^

Take her to a range that rents a variety of guns and let her try them. Tell her that you're only going to object it she picks something unreliable or unsuitable; otherwise it is up to her.

It's also not a bad idea to find an instructor, preferably female, to give the basic instruction. Women often do better working with another woman.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The Ruger LC9S and LCR both have smooth triggers and, paired with Hornady Critical Defense Lite ammo, may give her the right combination.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd let her choose a Shield in 9mm if she's going the purse carry route.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
[quote=BamBam
a purse designed for the pistol would be fantastic, but I think a girl at her age would probably not go that route. This is why I say revolver, and I don't believe that her father would ever let her just dump a revolver in her purse without being in a holster. There's a lot going on inside of a purse a lot of things floating around to catch on a trigger.dirt and debris which are always floating around in a woman's purse :-)play havoc on semiautomatics even inside of a holster hence the revolver. At 5 foot and 100 pounds if she had a revolver with a heavy trigger pull she would most likely need to have a trigger job. [/quote]

A good womens purse designed to carry a gun has it's own pocket, typically in the end of the purse so all the lady has to do is swing the purse (over her shoulder) in front of her, and conspicuously slip her hand in the pocket and now all she's got to do is swing the purse off to the side and the gun is out and ready. Once her hand is in the end of the purse she has the option of just discreetly removing her hand, or bringing the gun out. Works well.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Your daughter would probably appreciate this

http://thewellarmedwoman.com/the-concealed-carry-purse

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by BamBam
Whenever I hear purse I always think revolver, J frame 38 special Speer gold,135gr five shot, six, lightest gun she can handle.

The recoil characteristics of a snubnose .38 is not conducive to a "novice". They are just nasty, especially as compared to a .380.

Well I don't think she is a novice, if you read his post he says she has been shooting since a little girl.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I know, that is why I said, A purse designed for the pistol would be fantastic.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I usually recommend either the Ruger LCR or S&W BodyGuard in .38 sp. to the ladies that have taken my CHL course if they ask.

When they ask me why, I tell them that it won't jam and all you have to do is pull the trigger. Another words KISS.

And far the ones that are going to buy a small semi-auto no matter what advice I give them, I recommend they buy the Glock 42 in .380, as it's the most simple to operate. And also has less recoil than the Glock 43 in 9mm and easier to shoot, IMO.

But of course, before I turn any woman loose with a semi-auto, I tell them that it's going to require much more training and familiarity with the pistol than they are going to in my 5 hour CHL course. And I usually steer them towards a NRA Certified Safety and Pistol Instructor.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/25/16.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Over the last 3 weeks I have taken 4 women to the range to shoot a LCP, G43, and a Shield, as well as a few other pistols and revolvers. They had very little experience and could handle the 9s as easy as anything else. Working the slides was the biggest hang up. Not necessarily because of strength, but because of technique and mind set. They all had problems hitting anything, but that takes practice.

I think needed size should determine chambering. If they will be using a bra holster or carrying while running/jogging, the 380 is probably best, otherwise a 9mm would be the better option.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd look at the steel frame kahrs in 9mm as well

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
with advances in bullets, the 380 isnt no slouch anymore for carrying

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Try dry firing the LCP and the LC9 side by side. The LC9, being a striker type, has a much better trigger pull. I can't compare the recoil because I haven't shot either, just dry fired them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Unless somebody is going to pocket carry there is no need to go with an LCP or similar.

The size of the LCP is a handicap and not always needed.

The LC9 and G43, and Shield size pistols are far easier to shoot and don't necessitate a boutique cartridge.

"Juice vs Squeeze" as one of our more famous cyber-bullies has pointed out.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I took a concealed carry class where the instructor turned off the lights so we could point and shoot in the dark.
A gent to my right was firing a Browning 380 and I remember that the muzzle blast was worse than my 1911 45 acp.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SAKO75

True, but still only a few bullets come close to the the 12" FBI penetration criteria (denim in front of properly mixed ballistic gel), and then those expand much less. A Hornady XTP, for example, penetrates as much as 11.5" (very close) but only expands to .41" on average. The excellent Federal HST expands impressively, averaging right at .5", but penetration only averaged 8.5". All are much less consistent than the larger (more powerful) cartridges as well.

The .380 ACP has come a ways, and is certainly better than wielding a baseball bat, but the 9mm still is where adequate personal protection begins (in my opinion).

I would agree with 'Flave on actual platform size. Something in the 'Compact' class is easier to shoot that the 'micro' sized guns that are popular for pocket carry. And if a lady is going to carry in a purse, the size is less critical. Good point to consider.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 1Nut
Originally Posted by SAKO75

True, but still only a few bullets come close to the the 12" FBI penetration criteria (denim in front of properly mixed ballistic gel), and then those expand much less. A Hornady XTP, for example, penetrates as much as 11.5" (very close) but only expands to .41" on average. The excellent Federal HST expands impressively, averaging right at .5", but penetration only averaged 8.5". All are much less consistent than the larger (more powerful) cartridges as well.

The .380 ACP has come a ways, and is certainly better than wielding a baseball bat, but the 9mm still is where adequate personal protection begins (in my opinion).

I would agree with 'Flave on actual platform size. Something in the 'Compact' class is easier to shoot that the 'micro' sized guns that are popular for pocket carry. And if a lady is going to carry in a purse, the size is less critical. Good point to consider.
The Gold Dot .380 has been tested to penetrate about a foot in ballistic medium, and expand nicely.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[/quote]The Gold Dot .380 has been tested to penetrate about a foot in ballistic medium, and expand nicely.[quote]

Definitely one of the better choices, but doesn't consistently penetrate to 12". Still, a good choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTTuXpFChsA

Last edited by 1Nut; 07/27/16.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you could shoot FMJ and get 12" everytime, put it in the vitals and it will still hurt... XTP does penetrate better than the HST in 380...so does the hydrashok....HST in 9mm is the cats ass though...
this is the best 380 video for micro pistol ammo:
https://youtu.be/GNtPHYwcDts

precision one with XTP ammo penetrated 13"+ in denim and bare...

reviews goldots around 6:00 mark

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/final-results-of-the-380-acp-ammo-quest/

Last edited by SAKO75; 07/27/16.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have not tried, nor am I familiar with the Precision One offering. Looks like it is worth playing with. I'm not surprised at the XTP recommendation. It does penetrate reliably, albeit with less expansion.

Good vid, and thanks for the link.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 14 invisible), 1,295 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,678
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.