Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by smokepole
Not according to the link MIKEWERNER posted, here are a few excerpts:

"Officials inspect the fence twice a year and ranch hands check it regularly, Jones said, almost on a daily basis in summer months. Bad fences can cost the ranch its investment in domestic game animals, he noted, as the elk to stock a preserve cost from from $3,000 to $10,000 each."

"Since the eleven (elk) from the Howe ranch were tested, he said about 18 more elk have been imported from other areas around the country to keep the guided hunts going in the preserve, which earn in the $5,000 range and up. Testing on those elk taken by hunters has been negative for CWD, officials and Jones said."

Holy smokes! If true, I need to sell our cattle and re-assess what to do with our 7000 acres. Beef price is in the dumps anyway

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
According to the link.....there were only 11 total elk on the ranch (probably all bulls), 20+ state-owned deer, and 2 state-owned moose. Every animal was killed then.

I'll ask again.....were any cow elk spotted that were positively inside the fence (and not 'miles away')?

Rest assured.......no anger or unhappiness on this end.

We leave for a fair-chase hunt this Thursday evening, and could not be happier.....even with full moon, tent camping, and projected heavy rain.

Wait a minute, perhaps Cariboujack is 100% correct......we'll just 'enjoy' being miserable.

Seriously, whatever floats your tent, no judgements on this end.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
From the website:
"The elk that live on the preserves are self-propagating."

link

Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Looks like the Ranch was emptied in 2015. So much for any native 'free-rangers'.

Aren't there ANY cow elk on the Ranch?

THURSDAY , FEBRUARY 19, 2015:
The first penned elk with the fatal brain ailment was found among 11 elk tested from the former Utah State University and Denver Bronco star defensive lineman's Broadmouth Canyon Ranch near Liberty in Ogden Valley. It was among nine taken by hunters. After the CWD was confirmed, the two remaining elk were shot by ranch hands so they could be tested.

Testing for CWD is also set to begin for the 20-plus deer and two moose from Jones' preserve. They were wild game -- state property -- which were found inside Jones' Broadmouth preserve while the infected elk was there.

State hunters just last week finished shooting the deer and moose inside the preserve, officials said, removing the carcasses for the CWD-testing.

link

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We saw cow elk on at least two different occasions and definitively inside the wire. Also saw several moose and bison. I don't think the fact many elk are "put" is in question.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thought you mentioned/linked the herd was 'self-propagating'. Did not see any cows mentioned in your report, which is why it was asked.

The only mention of cows recalled, (I) will have to re-read reports.

Pugs:
We settled in and saw a couple of cows and a bull. Both were some miles away but it was nice to see them. Nothing stirred anywhere close and we rode down for lunch.

We saw cow elk on at least two different occasions and definitively inside the wire. Also saw several moose and bison. I don't think the fact many elk are "put" is in question.

From the website:
"The elk that live on the preserves are self-propagating."

link

THURSDAY , FEBRUARY 19, 2015:
The first penned elk with the fatal brain ailment was found among 11 elk tested from the former Utah State University and Denver Bronco star defensive lineman's Broadmouth Canyon Ranch near Liberty in Ogden Valley. It was among nine taken by hunters. After the CWD was confirmed, the two remaining elk were shot by ranch hands so they could be tested.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bottom line and truth is "I don't know", but you can check with them.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thank you for the offer, but we're going to be busy packing......so (God-willing) we can enjoy being miserable this weekend.

Bottom line and truth is "I don't know", but you can check with them.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
It's a little funny that when you can go after an animal and there is a predetermined outcome that you will kill it, that people are calling it hunting. If hunting is paying an outfit money and getting a guarantee you will kill whatever size animal you paid for then I've been doing it wrong. I guess the last time I got a pig and killed it that's hunting then. I ordered a 300# pig and that's what I got. Plus it was a lot of work to get it in the pickup once it was dead. So I guess that's called hunting now days. I did forget to take trophy pics and mount it though. I'll remember for next time.

Sorry for the sarcasm but if this is considered hunting now days then I don't want to be considered a hunter. I don't want my boy learning to 'hunt' that way.

As for the original post I'm surprised you expected anything different on a high fenced ranch?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IntruderBN
Originally Posted by smokepole
Not according to the link MIKEWERNER posted, here are a few excerpts:

"Officials inspect the fence twice a year and ranch hands check it regularly, Jones said, almost on a daily basis in summer months. Bad fences can cost the ranch its investment in domestic game animals, he noted, as the elk to stock a preserve cost from from $3,000 to $10,000 each."

"Since the eleven (elk) from the Howe ranch were tested, he said about 18 more elk have been imported from other areas around the country to keep the guided hunts going in the preserve, which earn in the $5,000 range and up. Testing on those elk taken by hunters has been negative for CWD, officials and Jones said."

Holy smokes! If true, I need to sell our cattle and re-assess what to do with our 7000 acres. Beef price is in the dumps anyway

Remember the Indian reservation in I think Arizona? One of the young men went college. When he returned he convinced the tribe to forget the cattle business and advertise for high dollar elk hunts. They required the elk to be a five point or better before the hunter could kill it. The rest is history.

I remember one guy paid "only" $25,000 for a fantastic head. I told my wife at the time, "When you're making $50,000 a week you get used to numbers like that not being big."

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tuff
It's a little funny that when you can go after an animal and there is a predetermined outcome that you will kill it, that people are calling it hunting. If hunting is paying an outfit money and getting a guarantee you will kill whatever size animal you paid for then I've been doing it wrong. I guess the last time I got a pig and killed it that's hunting then. I ordered a 300# pig and that's what I got. Plus it was a lot of work to get it in the pickup once it was dead. So I guess that's called hunting now days. I did forget to take trophy pics and mount it though. I'll remember for next time.

Sorry for the sarcasm but if this is considered hunting now days then I don't want to be considered a hunter. I don't want my boy learning to 'hunt' that way.

As for the original post I'm surprised you expected anything different on a high fenced ranch?

The members here who went on this hunt reported that the elk were spooky and had to be stalked, else they'd blow out of the area. They feel they had to work for their elk, and they're obviously proud of their accomplishments. I'm not sure how that equates to a guaranteed kill or ordering a pig from a hog yard.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating. The hardest hunt I ever went on was for fallow deer behind a high fence in Argentina. A fence that was down in several places and had huge holes dug underneath that allowed critters to come and go as they please (I realize the fence in question is/was monitored, but I will bet there are spots that animals could cross). I hunted for days before I even saw a decent fallow buck. The easiest hunt? Caribou 100 miles from the nearest road. As long as you got in front of the herd, all you had to do was wait for the right one. It was stupid easy to do, with any kind of hunting smarts...unlike the fallow hunt, which was as difficult as stalking turkeys.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jorge, don't let any of this sniping detract a bit from the fun of that hunt. It probably already has, but ignore the rest of it. The only joy some of these critics ever get is spoiling the fun for others.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I whole heartedly support the right of a landowner to high fence his property, and I support people's right to shoot behind them. Having said that, I have no respect for those who do, and would rather shoot a doe out back of the house,than a large buck or bull behind a fence. At least the doe can get away. To each their own.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by T_Inman

The members here who went on this hunt reported that the elk were spooky and had to be stalked, else they'd blow out of the area. They feel they had to work for their elk, and they're obviously proud of their accomplishments. I'm not sure how that equates to a guaranteed kill or ordering a pig from a hog yard.

It says 100% guaranteed on the website from what I read. That's why I say it's guaranteed whether somebody had to stalk the animal or not.
If it's a guarantee then it's not a hunt. It's a shoot. If you don't see a difference between the two that's fine with me. Our opinions differ is all.

For the guys that bought some bulls from this place besides the op. I did not go on your thread and post my thoughts because I didn't want to bring negativity to your thread and I won't. This is an entirely different thread from that. I'm not trying to put anyone down.

Regards, Branden

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 201k

...I am an older very successful retired professional hunter, outfitter, and worldwide hunter...

Well, 201k..., then, I think you should have known better.

To the others: Hunting behind a fence is hunting behind a fence, regardless how much the property has prepared things to make it aesthetically acceptable. Coping with this fakeness just depends on how much uncritical you are with the ways you act as a hunter.

But this is something intimate and personal and I would never dare to reprobate anybody for hunting behind a fence.

Finding it acceptable demands a more accommodating or indulgent character than many of us may have but it is everybody's personal choice.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm a southern flatlander with two weeks of vacation each year. This year I'm doing a public land backpack hunt out west with a friend. I do not have a tag, I'm just along for an extra set of eyes and legs. This is not uncommon, lots of guys roll that way. To me it has little to do with what goes on the wall. To some it has all to do with what goes on the wall. Heck, I've been on the trail every morning for the last several months at 4:30 with a headlamp and 60lb pack just so I can tag along. Whatever floats your boat. I wouldn't do a canned hunt for a "world record" elk if it were free. Others will pay a crazy amount of money for it. If thats how you like to spend your money and time its sure not for me to criticize. FWIW, my wife thinks I'm the crazy one. It might have something to do with setting up and testing my sleeping system, including tent, in the bedroom for the last several nights. LOL

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Jorge, don't let any of this sniping detract a bit from the fun of that hunt. It probably already has, but ignore the rest of it. The only joy some of these critics ever get is spoiling the fun for others.

Thanks and it hasn't. To quote an old Navy expression:
DILIGAF... smile

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

"No doubt if you take him at his word he believes high-fence hunting is bad for the SPORT. "

I dont think most high fence hunting can be referred to as a sport. Killing is killing, not hunting, though going to a pinch point and shooting something driven does involve aspects of it.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Simple fact, commonly avoided......NO ONE HAS CRAPPED ON JORGE'S GROUP ELK THREAD!!

This thread was started by 201k, and the discussion is (#1) whether he was there.....and (#2) whether his points concerning the ranch are valid/legitimate.

Originally Posted by Okanagan

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by MadMooner
These threads crack me up.

As long as the hunt is represented accurately, who cares?

I care. Because it's not a dann hunt. Never was, never will be.

And canned hunts are taking more and hunting country and turning them into "farming country" every year, where normal wild deer and elk are not wanted.

Money ruins everything it seems.

In Texas, hunt your ass off all your life and kill a 169 buck and you have accomplished nothing. The kid across the street, who couldnt sneak up on a dead deer has a 200 incher his dad bought on the wall.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I guess some think the blessing of our once wild game animals should stay game animals rather than be equated with something bought and paid for. Let the moneyed get a Maserati.

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Or....those that do take that 169 care little what others think and see it as a personal accomplishment. No public praise required.

The problem is that kid that tries to convince everyone there is no difference in the way he took the 200 inch (given it was a fence hunt). He posts his hunt ALL over the internet. If everyone does NOT accept the kid's view concerning the hunt....they're quickly labeled as jealous, unhappy, miserable.

It's a matter of personal code/ethics. Personal, not forum-majority popular opinion.....or popular personalities.

In Texas, hunt your ass off all your life and kill a 169 buck and you have accomplished nothing. The kid across the street, who couldnt sneak up on a dead deer has a 200 incher his dad bought on the wall.

Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (160user, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 10ring1, 222ND, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,573
Posts18,531,952
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.